Saturday, August 4, 2012

An Adventure

Yesterday, Jason celebrated his 33rd birthday.  Family is very important to us both, so we had dinner last night with his mom and step-dad in Wake Forest.  If you have not eaten at "Over the Falls" in Wake Forest I highly recommend it!...And if you have never had Jerri's chocolate chess pie - you should get yourself a piece. :)

I have been trying really hard to come up with something fun and different to do for Jason's birthday.  Before I came along he had a lot of time to spend outdoors, where he enjoyed hiking and canoeing.  As we all know, when you fall in love, especially long distance, the things we used to enjoy doing with friends or on our own need to be sacrificed at time in order to make the relationship grow.  With that being said, I set out on a mission to borrow a canoe for the morning.  Now, let me just tell you, I have done a lot of outdoors stuff in my time, but canoeing has never been one of them, it terrifies me actually.  I am a great swimmer, but there is something about that tiny rocky boat that I just do not want to subject myself too.  Going on this adventure for the first time with Jason would be a great opportunity for him to teach me something (which I love) and to show me part of his 'world' before I was a part of it.  He was a counselor at Camp Caraway for many summers and taught many little boys the skills I learned today.

With the help of my brother, we found a canoe (thank you Jimbo) and got things ready for an adventure.  This morning Jason came over and we went to the pond close to my dad's store.  I didn't want to go to a river with a current, I wanted to stay as safe as possible (even though this pond is probably filled with water moccasins).  The scariest part of the adventure was getting into the canoe.  Once we were in and on the water it was pretty easy...As the morning passed I think my skills got better (as far as knowing which side to row on and how to stop when needed).  We both look forward to doing this again when it gets MUCH cooler outside.






No comments:

Post a Comment